Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How To Create The Vintage / Retro Look On a Budget Part 2

 
Estate Sale Vintage Navy Evening Purse: $4.00
 
 
Once again having good stock in vintage accessories helps when creating a vintage
look from non vintage items. As I have said before, these accessories can be pricey but they don't
need to be if you frequent yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores and have cool aunts and grandma's who give you said items for free.
 
I scored this 90's Vtg dress at a local 1.00 thrift store. I knew with a pretty slip and some vintage accessories I could make it look more retro. I did not do anything but add a brooch, a belt and a pearl necklace (which I already had). This dress is navy and it has pretty embroidered detailing by the neck. Here I did not add the slip but I did wear it with a nude color slip. It looked BLAH and shapeless on the hanger but sometimes you have to look beyond the blah to see potential. I often grab belts in the store and belt it right there and then magically it comes to life.
 
 
Thrifted 90's Vtg, Navy Sheer Dress: $1.00
Vintage Pearl Necklace: Free / Gift from Aunt
Vintage Gold Brooch: / Free / Gift from Aunt
Thrifted Black Belt: $2.00
 
 
 
When I thrift, I often check for sales. Sometimes shirts will be on sale. Other times it's a tag color on sale. I find out what the sale is and go there first. My favorite is when Coats and Jackets are on sale.
I found this sweet vintage inspired black velvetine evening jacket at a thrift store where jackets were 50% off that day. I went straight for the jacket rack and came up with this.
 
 
Thrifted Black Velvetine Evening Jacket: $7.00
 
This jacket was made recently though it had such a vintage look. It was fully lined in red and had the most beautiful rhinestone button in the center. I loved the collar and the trumpet sleeves! The regular price on this was $14.00 but because jackets were 50% off..I got it for $7.00!
 
The dress is the same one from the photo before and the gorgeous vintage necklace was also a gift from my aunt.
 
 
 
 
This next dress has a 1950's look to it though it was actually a 1970's dress. I loved the chiffon and glamorous look to it. It had a sweet V neck and tied at the waist on the side.
 
 
Thrifted Vtg Chiffon Dress: $6.00
 
I actually got this up by Solvang when I went on a mini wine tasting trip with my girlfriends.
We saw a thrift store and just HAD to stop in. I got this dress and some mid century teak salt and pepper shakers for a steal! Sadly this dress was not my size but I sold it to a very happy customer on Ebay.
 
 
It's amazing the things that you can find in the stuff other people toss out. My mother's friend has a daughter who is going to get married this year and she told me she has spent so much on the wedding that she can't seem to think about spending more on a dress (mother of the bride). I suggested that she go to a thrift shop then showed her some of the lovely things I have found. She was so excited about that idea that we have a date to go thrift shopping together.
 
 
Thrifted 80's Vtg Polka Dot Dress: $4.00
Vtg Pearl Necklace: Free / Gift from Aunt
Thrifted Vtg Belt: $1.00
Yard Sale Vtg Christmas Wreath Pin: $.50
 
This secretary dress was 1/2 off. However, it was wrinkled and wadded up. For four dollars, I took it home, washed it in the sink, let it drip dry in my shower and then gave it a little steam and it was PERFECT. It even doubled as a Christmas Party Dress with the aid of some sparkly accessories.
I see past the wrinkles and wads and I dig like I'm hunting for buried treasure!
 
 
 
This next find was one of the BEST. I found it at a little church thrift shop in the city of Orange
and paid.... $3.00 for it! A vintage skirt suit. two pieces, floral print! It's so chic and really timeless.
The best part of this find is that it was MADE for the orginal owner and the detailing was
magnificent!
 
 
There are ways around an expensive looking vintage wardrobe. All you gotta do is go on a little adventure and be open minded. I suggest trying everything on if you can.
 
So check your local paper for estate sales. Stop at that yard sale you see when going for breakfast on Saturday morning. Visit your local thrift store and inquire about sales.
 
Your next outfit could be right around the corner!
 
The Retro Glam Girl
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment