Friday, May 3, 2013

How To Create A Vintage / Retro Look On A Budget

 
 
For me this is easy. I realize for other's it may not be so (hence this post). Because I am on a budget, I can't go right out there and buy all the vintage outfits I covet. I will admit that I save up for things
I REALLY want (makes me love them even more when I do get them) but I usually don't just shell out the cash at the drop of a hat.
 
When I was 22 I worked at a receptionist making $8.00 an hour. This was a full time job however I was also living on my own. I had rent, a car payment, an insurance payment and the usual utilities to pay each month. I also liked to go out. A LOT. I didn't have a lot of money left after the bills were paid. What little I did have I spent on going out. While going out was fun.... not having anything new or new to me to wear... was not. I have always been a frugal gal and have always had a love for thrift shopping. Back then I could take $10.00 and bring at least 9 items home.
 
I was inspired by old movies and would often try and copy looks as best as I could.
 
 
 
Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina
 
I loved incorporating vintage with new. Taking something flashy and elegant and pairing it with something more casual. For example... If I found a vintage hat like Audrey's, I'd pair it with a pair of jeans, a black tank top and heels. Or I'd find a basic black dress with spaghetti straps at the thrift store and then I'd tie black ribbon to the straps and create bows much like she has in the above photo. 
 
All those thrifting years have been very valuable to me. I have collected such lovely items and learned a thing or two about fabric, but I'll get back to what this post is really about.
 
To create vintage or retro looks you don't have to stick to vintage items alone. My best advice is to KNOW what you like and DON'T be afraid to mix and match eras to create a look. Lets start with the basics: ACCESSORIES
 
 
Vintage accessories are pretty affordable to buy. In fact, sometimes you get them FREE. Yes, Free!
Your mom, grandma or aunts may have things in their the closets that they have or will pass down to you. My mom gave me her Vintage Leopard Hat. My aunt gave me her 1940's Rhinestone Jewelry  and my grandma, her fur trimmed collars. You will also find that when people know you like vintage things...they tend to give you stuff they no longer want. I must admit that those things are my favorite. Mostly because they sometimes come with a story. If you don't have anyone to give you their "heirlooms" then worry not. This stuff is looming about at local yard sales, estate sales and local church thrift shops. Anything from costume jewelry to hats and scarves. It doesn't have to be vintage either. You can look for items that have the look!
 
 
 
Thrifted White 3 Strand Vintage Necklace: $3.00


Once you have some cute accessories, take an inventory of what you do have in your closet. You'd be surprised how some of your items may give off that retro look you want when paired with the vintage accessories you just got! Do a little research on what type of look your going for and go thrifting with an open mind. For instance, of your looking for a vintage 40's look, know the shape of the garments from that era. It's rare you will find 40's dresses at the thrift shop BUT you may find 40's STYLE dresses. shoes, coats and what not. Don't be afraid to mix your era's to create your look. I do this all the time. Sometimes I find a vintage 80's blouse with a retro look and I just go with it.



Thrifted Vtg Heart Print Secretary Blouse: $4.99
Thrifted Vtg Black Skirt: $ 3.99


The above blouse is 80's vtg. Cap sleeves, white with black heart print.
The skirt is also 80's vtg and it wasn't very pencil like so I took it in a bit on my sewing machine.
The bag is also 80's vtg however the brooch, necklace and belt are from the late 50's and 60's and were given to me by my Aunt Dee. This is fun retro secretary look I sometimes use for work.
The best part about this is you can use both items for other looks and not just work.

For instance.....




Thrifted Vtg White Sequin Blouse: $4.99
Thrifted Vtg Black Skirt: $3.99
Vtg Pearl Necklace: Free / Gift from Aunt Dee
Vtg Gold Bag / Yard Sale: $2.00

Here I used the same skirt from above and paired it with a pretty blouse. my aunt's pearls and yard sale bag and I went to my friend's black tie wedding. What I love about this is it's a classic look and though it's vintage from multiple eras, it never really goes out of style.

Pulling looks from one era to create a look from another era is something I do often. I see a dress and RETRO it up in my head. The below dress is from 1970's era but I saw it quite another way.



Thrifted Vtg Two Tone Dress: $4.00

The belt, bag and necklace I already had.

I like to wear lighter colors in the summer and I am always looking something cute to wear to work.
This dress was it! I loved the two tone red and paired it with my hear belt and added a vintage necklace. This pic looks like she is going to a picnic or boat party (with the clutch) but for work I would just change the bag.

Stay Tuned For Part TWO

The Retro Glam Girl




 

No comments:

Post a Comment